Mark N. Brown Art Show and Exhibit at Assaggio Italian Restaurant (Kailua) - September 12, 2017 to December 7th, 2017
Back to the top
Mark N. Brown Art Show Exhibit at
Assaggio Italian Restaurant (Kailua) - View phots below
September 12, 2017 to December 7th, 2017
"I enjoy painting outdoors because it limits the amount of time that I have to capture the light in my painting. It makes me call attention to the most important elements and put the non-essential out of focus."
THE ARTIST BIO FOR MARK N. BROWN
Mark N. Brown, born and raised on Oahu has been active in the Arts for the last 40 years. He has been teaching weekly plein air painting classes with the University of Hawaii at Manoa Outreach college since 1999 and running a uninstructed life drawing class since 1988,and continues with a similar one with the Honolulu Museum school of art.
After starting his own graphic design business in 1984 he used that business knowledge to paint full time in 1998, and between painting for galleries, commissions ,staged home painting rentals, and murals, it keeps his palate always loaded.
In October of 2015 , Mark and his team of 4 fellow artist was hired by Kamehameha Schools to complete a 9 week 35' x 350' wall mural For the Nishimoto Trading company.
Mark has represented Oahu for the last 11 years in the Maui Plein Air Painting invitational and he has won 5 awards judged by Jean Stern of the Irvin Museum.
His Easel has traveled with him to Germany, Italy, France Tahiti , New Mexico, Vermont, Maine, Massetuchettes, New York, Nevada ,Seattle and California
Brown taught a 5 day/4 night plein air workshop at Camp Mokuleia in March 2016 , and will be seen in Chinatown with his easel as he gears up for a show with the Louis Pohl gallery on March 27th to June 24th , 2016 .
HAWAII ARTIST FACTS
- Mark N. Brown is one of Hawaii's premier Landscape Artist.
- He is a Plein Air Art Teacher at the University of Hawaii art department.
- He gives back to Hawaii in a variety of ways.
- His art is featured in Hawaii Art Galleries all over the islands.
- He offers commissioned art.
- He is a well known Hawaiian artist.
- He has completed multiple murals in Hawaii.
- He does outdoor oil paintings of Hawaiian Scenery.
- He is one of Hawaii's Artists.
- He has over 100 Scenic Hawaiian Paintings
- 1995- attends uninstructed life drawing group on Sundays at U. of H. while a sophomore at Castle High school
- 1977 - masthead design winner / Castle High school
- 1979- 1983, accepted drawing /painting entries for Printmakers assoc, Hawaii watercolor show, Easter art show,
- AHA show .
- 1984 - 1998- starts Signs & Graphics by Mark , a dba that specializes in Hand lettering , silk screening , and graphic design , clients include . CS Wo HomeWorld, Meadow Gold daries, Triple Crown of Surfing
- 1988 - 2011 , heads up a uninstructed life drawing group once a week at Chamanade university ,
- 1988 - 5- 15' x 15' portraits completed for National Hula Bowl Halftime performance , of the late Elison Onizuka, John A. Burns , Alfred Apaka , Duke Kahanamoku, King Kamehmeha.
- 1988 - awarded temporary signage contract by Media 5
- For the renovation work for Ala Moana Hotel ,
- 1988 - Travel to Italy for self study of art , 30 days
- 1993 - 1999 attends painting on location class with the U. of H. outreach college , Florence Ko instructor
- 1995 - takes plein air workshop with East Coast instructor Tm Nicholas
- 1996 - Mural created for Waikiki ,Duty Free Shop
- 1997 - 6'x 4' oil painting "Humble Beginings" selected for cover of Music CD : HomeGrown , Ron Jacobs , producer
- 1998 - show at Leeward Community College of original plein air and figurative oil paintings , show was purchased by Robyn Buntin galleries to start Oceanic gallery on Beretania st.
- 1998 - to current , featured artist for Punahou Schools annual Art carnival exhibit
- 1998 - 2008 exhibits paintings seasonally with the Pacific Handcrafters Guild
- 1998 - hired as subcontractor by Brandy Signs to dress the Duty Free Shop with a graphic curtain 60' high , by 250' x 250' square ,
- 1999 - to current - participates in annual Haleiwa Art Festival
- 1999 - painting chosen for cover of music CD for KINE
- Radio station
- 2000 - City & County of Honolulu culture and the Arts Purchase of 3 paintings for Mayor's office./ Peter Redulivik
- 2000 - American Savings Bank , selects 13 paintings for year 75th anniversary calendar .
- 2000 - to current , becomes instructor for U. of H. Outreach College, painting on Location class
- 2002 - travel to France and Italy for independent art study
- 2002 - original painting " a lazy day in Haleiwa" chosen for the Haleiwa arts festival poster and T-shirt
- 2003 - #12 original paintings purchased by Bob Armstrong of Armstrong builders , to dress the model homes of Ka Lani At Ko'olina, starts the home staging business /rental
- 2003 - 4' x 32' mural of " History of Surfing commissioned by The Honu Group for the restaurant " All Star Café" with advisory assistance from Triple Crown director Randy Rarick
- 2003 - paintings selected by Woody Kirtley of Kirtley designs For reproduction in the rooms and suites of Hilton Hawaiian village , Tapa tower , Diamond head tower , and Rainbow tower
- 2004 -2008, #55 paintings are purchased by HTH corp/ Pacific beach hotel for their collections
- 2004 - attends plein air painting workshop in Kauai taught by Kevin Macphearson
- 2004 - 2006 becomes partners in gallery Atelier 4 on Queen st As the downtown gallery walk hits it's stride, gallery later becomes Bethel st. gallery
- 2004 - invited to San Louis Obispo for Plein air painting competition
- 2004 - attends plein air painting workshop with the late Ken Auster
- 2005 to 2016 -- invited to the Maui Plein air painting competition invitational and wins the Quick Draw competition in 2005 representing Oahu ( painting completed in 2 hours) Wins 4 other awards judged by Jean Stern of the Irvine Museum
- 2006 - paintings selected by Outrigger hotels, Marimar, and Sheraton for reproduction for their properties.
- 2007 - one person shows at Gallery Bibelot , Kapiolani community college fine dining room, Roy's Restaurant Hawaii Kai .
- 2008 - takes workshop with national portrait painter Daniel Green
- 2008 - starts a weekly uninstructed portrait group with costumed models
- 2009 - current , yearly plein air trips to New Mexico, Mass. Ca. Maine, etc for learning
- 2009 - teaching plein air workshop at Hui Noeau , Makawao ,Maui
- 2011 - commissioned by City & County on Cultural in the Arts for Public mural for 15' x 15' Waipio Gentry Aquatic park
- 2011- heads up a uninstructed life drawing group at the Honolulu Museum school of art. to replace Chamanade group that had to relocate due to renovation.
- 2011 - to current : paintings rented for every season as backdrops for Hawaii 5-0 staging
- 2012 - painting selected for Haleiwa art festival poster
- 2013 - 2014- hired by Rehab hospital of the Pacific to Be in charge of art program
- 2014 - art show in Bon Germany , to show alongside Deceased student Brigite Tidge , sponsored by surviving husband Boy Ludge .
- 2015 - 35' x 350' mural completed for kamehameha schools On the Nishimoto trading company building , Goto construction , contractor
- 2016 -- Camp Mokuliea painting workshop
Back to the top
Questions? Ready for an appointment?