- Powered by MBC DirectoryMaker
Plein Air Painting on Location with Mark N. Brown (12 Week Oil/Acrylic Art Class - Honolulu, Hawaii) - FALL Art Class 2017
Plein Air Painting on Location with Mark Brown (Oil/Acrylic Art Class - Honolulu, Hawaii)
Let island scenery inspire you. Paint as a group at O‘ahu's beaches, mountains, and parks. Come prepared to paint at the first meeting, when later locations are announced. Students show their work in a group art show at the end of class, time and place to be determined. Course covers basic acrylic or oil painting for beginning to advanced students. Students provide their own transportation to painting locations.
- Summer Session (September 16th, 2017 to December 2nd 2017) • Sat • 9:00am-12:00pm • 12 mtgs
- First class meeting (TBA)
- $175 (Beginners), $125 (Repeat students) - Click on links below to register.
- Plein air classes are held every Saturday
- Painting demonstration begins at 8:00am and the session wraps up with a critique that we all can learn from.
- New students: check information below or fill out contact form on this page for guidance/instructions on supply list.
- Includes FREE access to Mark N. Brown during class semester (tips, resources, videos and much more).
- Limited class size...sign up today!
- Discover the best Plein Air painting locations on Oahu and even on the neighbor islands!
- Receive monthly Mark N. Brown art tips via email.
- FREE Access to Mark N Brown's password protected online Student membership area during class semester (tips, resources, videos and much more.).
- Discounts on Mark N. Brown's Art.
- Reduced entry fees/discounts to sanctioned Mark N Brown events/venues.
- Students show their work in a group art show at the end of class, time and place to be determined (Summer 2016 location was Honolulu Country Club)
- I circulate among the painters and see if they need assistance making their statement, in paint.
- We meet informally before and after the semester starts, and there is no fee or instruction. Just keeping our brushes wet and practicing what's been imparted and learned among us,
- Mark N. Brown has been teaching this class for over 16 years, and some of the artist have been with him for over 12 years, so there are other professionals among the group.
- Access to Secure Online Section with Videos, Special Paint locations, tips and more.
Back to the top HOW TO SIGNUP/REGISTER:
- New Student Register online using safe and secure PayPal - $175 (Beginners) - Click Here
- Repeat Student Register online using safe and secure PayPal $125 (Repeat students) - Click Here
- Register in person on 1st day of class - $175 (Beginners), $125 (Repeat students) - Fill out contact form on this page for guidance/instructions.
- QUESTIONS? Fill out contact form on this page for guidance/instructions.
- RECOMMENDED SUPPLIES:
- Portable French style easel
• Flat brushes: #4, 8, 12
• Brushes: size #14 and 16
• 2" brushes (available at City Mill, Ace, Home Depot, etc. for ~$1.19)
- Oil or acrylic paint, a limited palette of colors to start:
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Cadmium Red Light
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Thalo Green
- Titanium White
- (Recommended: an inexpensive brand of paint, for example, Mameri. Of three grades, the Classico is a student grade, but good quality.)
- A couple of empty jars or containers for thinners or water
- Canvas or canvas board (size 16" x 20" or larger)
- Small sketchbook, approx. 6" x 8", to do composition sketches before painting
- Sources for art supplies:
- University of Hawai'i at the Manoa Campus Center Bookstore (956-6612)
- One Shot Supplies at 815A Waiakamilo Road (841-7683)
- Hawaiian Graphics at 1923 South Beretania Street (973-7171)
- Look for an ACMI seal (AP, CP, AP+PC, or Health Label or HL+Non-Toxic), signifying that the formula has been checked against both chronic (long term) and acute (immediate) toxicity, if you are concerned about toxic potential of paints.
- Recommended additional supplies:
- Lifeguard hat with a wide brim and drawstring to keep it on in strong wind
About Mark N. Brown was born and raised in Hawai‘i and has been painting plein air (outdoors) with Outreach College since 1993. His original paintings, which are generated from these outdoor sessions, hang at various galleries on O‘ahu, including Cedar Street Galleries, Robyn Buntin Galleries, Sunshine Art Gallery, and Hale‘iwa Art Gallery, as well as at Pacific Beach Hotel and Hilton Hawaiian Village. Pacific Beach Hotel commissioned him to paint a series of oil paintings to be reproduced as serigraph prints for all 800 of its guest rooms. Several of his works have appeared in 2011 episodes of the television show Hawaii 5-0.
Brown's work was also featured in American Savings Bank's 2000 and 2005 calendars; Aloha Airlines' calendars for 2002, 2003, and 2005; in a poster for the 2002 and 2011 Hale‘iwa Art Festival; and on the cover of Outreach College's Winter-Spring 2003 catalog. Duke's Olympic Feet, a children's book published by Island Heritage, carries 40 of Brown's illustrations of Duke Kahanamoku.
His murals can be seen at DFS Galleria Waikīkī and most recently at the City & County of Honolulu Waipi‘o Gentry Aquatic Center. Brown is a signature member of Islanders, a plein air group that he has represented, on behalf of O‘ahu, in a national "paintout" competition held in Lahaina, Maui annually, taking honors in three of six years he has been in it. Mark has broadened his painting experience in New Mexico, Maine, Vermont, Boston, Nevada, California , Italy, France,and Tahiti. Lately, his paintings have been in demand for staging the interiors of model homes. Learn more about Mark brown at www.marknbrownfineart.com.
Back to the top
SAFE/SECURE SHOPPING CART USING PAYPALPayPal Note: You do not need to have a PayPal account to pay via PayPal. You can just use your credit card on checkout.
If you have a PayPal account click on the icon above to verify Mark N. Brown with PayPal.
Back to the top
NEW STUDENT SIGN UP/REGISTER
Back to the top
REPEAT STUDENT SIGN UP/REGISTER
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
- Hawaii Plein Air Art Class & Workshop Testimonials
View a list of testimonials from happy Mark N. Brown clients, art collectors and students.
- About Mark N. Brown - Hawaii Plein Air Artist
Mark is one of the few Plein Air Artists in Hawaii. Plein Air artists paint their paintings entirely outside at the site of the painting subject. He teaches this method at the University of Hawaii and his work can be seen all throughout the Hawaiian islands. More...
- Art Showroom by Hawaii Artist Mark N. Brown
View Mark N. Brown Hawaii Art showroom with links to all of Mark's art images. More...
- Hire Hawaii Artist Mark N. Brown
Hire Hawaii artist, Mark N. Brown. Private consulting, private training, live art event painting, custom workshops, speaking engagement/presentation, commission art and more. More...
- Latest Hawaii Art News & Newsletters
View the latest news from Hawaii Artist Mark N. Brown More...
- Commission Hawaii Art
A commission oil is an oil painting personally created by Mark N. Brown for a collector. More...
- Hawaiian Art Sales Items and Special Offers
Special items on sale from Hawaii artist Mark N. Brown Art More...
- What is Plein Air? Art and Paintings
Mark's trademark style More...