Plein Air Art Class Supplies Checklist
Portable French style easel
- Flat brushes: #4, 8, 12
- Brushes: size #14 and 16
- 2" brushes (available at City Mill, Ace, Home Depot, etc. for ~$1.19)
Oil or acrylic paint, a limited palette of colors to start:
- Cadmium Yellow Light
- Cadmium Red Light
- Alizarin Crimson
- Ultramarine Blue
- Thalo Green
- Titanium White
Recommended: an inexpensive brand of paint, for example, Mameri. Of three grades, the Classico is a student grade, but good quality.
- A couple of empty jars or containers for thinners or water
- Canvas or canvas board (size 16" x 20" or larger)
- Small sketchbook, approx. 6" x 8", to do composition sketches before painting
- Solvent: Ordorless minerial spirits ( to clean brushes and thin paint)in a jar with lid
Sources for art supplies:
- University of Hawai'i at the Manoa Campus Center Bookstore (956-6612)
- One Shot Supplies at 815A Waiakamilo Road (841-7683)
- Hawaiian Graphics at 1923 South Beretania Street (973-7171)
Look for an ACMI seal (AP, CP, AP+PC, or Health Label or HL+Non-Toxic), signifying that the formula has been checked against both chronic (long term) and acute (immediate) toxicity, if you are concerned about toxic potential of paints.
Recommended additional supplies:
- Lifeguard hat with a wide brim and drawstring to keep it on in strong wind
- Hat with a wide brim , sunglasses
- Paper towels,clamps to hold palette to easel during strong winds
Mindset to bring: Enthusiasm and 3 to 5 hours of relaxed focus
Questions? Ready for an appointment?
- RELATED LINKS
Plein Air Painting on Location with Mark N. Brown (12 Week Oil/Acrylic Art Class - Honolulu, Hawaii) - Summer Art Class 2017
If you're ready to take your art to a higher level. Let island scenery inspire you. Paint as a group at Oahu's beaches, mountains, and parks. Come prepared to paint at the first meeting, when later locations are announced. Students show their work in a group art show at the end of class, time and place to be determined. Course covers basic acrylic or oil painting for beginning to advanced students. Students provide their own transportation to painting locations. More...
- About Mark N. Brown - Hawaii Plein Air Artist
Mark is one of the few Plein Air Artists in Hawaii. Plein Air artists paint their paintings entirely outside at the site of the painting subject. He teaches this method at the University of Hawaii and his work can be seen all throughout the Hawaiian islands. More...
- Art Showroom by Hawaii Artist Mark N. Brown
View Mark N. Brown Hawaii Art showroom with links to all of Mark's art images. More...
- Hire Hawaii Artist Mark N. Brown
Hire Hawaii artist, Mark N. Brown. Private consulting, private training, live art event painting, custom workshops, speaking engagement/presentation, commission art and more. More...
- Latest Hawaii Art News & Newsletters
View the latest news from Hawaii Artist Mark N. Brown More...
- Commission Hawaii Art
A commission oil is an oil painting personally created by Mark N. Brown for a collector. More...
- Hawaiian Art Sales Items and Special Offers
Special items on sale from Hawaii artist Mark N. Brown Art More...
- What is Plein Air? Art and Paintings
Mark's trademark style More...